Tuesday, July 15, 2008

May 2008 Archive

May 18, 2008
Preakness
Why am I such a sucker for horse races? I have never been interested in them before but for the past 2 years now I have been glued to the TV during the 3 biggest races of the year. Today was the Preakness and after the Kentucky Derby incident 2 weeks ago, I swore off picking horses. I did watch Big Brown win but I sure was not going to participate in rooting them on. The Belmont is in 3 weeks and it will not surprise me if Big Brown becomes a Triple Crown winner! That horse is AMAZING! I will probably be watching it but again, I will NOT be making picks. I just can't do it anymore!

On another note: I can't remember if I mentioned in a previous post about taking E to the carnival. I got some really great shots of her and her friends. I was testing/practicing my action shots and was able to capture some neat ones. As soon as I get them resized i will post them on here. They had a blast and I had a blast taking pics!

Somehow in the last 2-3 months I have managed hurt my neck. It is almost like having a constant crick in my neck..... don't ask me how cuz I have no clue. I have been living with the pain thinking i could get it to go away just by time and heating pads but this has not been the case. I went to the Dr the other day and he said that I have somehow managed to strain/sprain the tendons in my neck. The only thing I can think of is just stress from work and being tense all the time. Not to mention the way the computers and radio are set up at work, not very user friendly. Needless to say, hopefully I will be able to get some relief soon from the medicines. Boy, I can't wait for my vacation!

Speaking of vacations.... I a sooo ready for June to get here. I can't wait to get to see family for a few days then move on into Galveston for a few days on the beach! There's nothing like some fun in the sun and sand. We are going to Houston also and I can't wait to show E the Houston Space Center. I remember going there when I was younger and thought it was just the coolest thing. I have pictures of myself and my dad standing in front of a huge rocket booster and I am hoping to be able to recreate the picture again only like 25 years later.... how cool will that be? Now I just have to pray I can find the old pictures...lol

Well, I guess that is enough of an update without pics...I will get some uploaded soon!

P.S. Only 3 days left of school! WOO HOO!!!

Posted at 02:27 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

May 07, 2008
Rain, rain go away!
And dont come back anytime soon. Or at least until after I get back from Houston........ We have had some major storms the last 2 days. My anxiety level has been through the roof! I am just so ready to get this backyard remodel and drainage problem fixed so that I can rest easy when it rains. Today, after the storms all passed, I instantly got a migraine headache from the anxiety buildup. After taking a 2 hour nap, I am wide awake, feeling great and raring to go and it is 11 pm (insert eye roll here). Needless to say, I am currently baking bannana nut muffins for breakfast in the morning and then I will be scrapbooking the rest of the night/morning! Given my history with baking and my Angel Food debacle, pray my muffins turn out okay. Gosh, I am so pathetic.

Here are 2 pics of storm damage from today. The first is my neighbors tree and the second one is my backyard swing.



Subject change: I got a new bathing suit today...WOO HOO! It is real cute, complete with skirt and all. This is a big thing for me. I hate shopping for clothes at all much less a bathing suit. I never have like clothes shopping, EVER! I know, I'm weird but its a good weirdness for me! Anyways, with that said, Houston and Galveston.... Here I come!!!

Posted at 11:47 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

May 06, 2008
Who knew??
Who knew that Angel Food cake quadruples itself in the oven. I about burned my house down tonight trying to be Martha Stewart. I followed all the instructions on the box and for some reason it made double the batter. (maybe I did mix it a little too long). I ended up having to use 2 pans due to the double mixture and apparently I filled the pans too full. Next thing I know, I am smelling burnt marshmallows. I open the oven and the entire bottom of he oven was covered in burning batter. Thank goodness for self cleaning ovens!!! Needless to say, we didn't get dessert tonight and no I don't have pics of the said incident!!! There is a reason Angel Food cake comes premade!

Posted at 11:21 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

May 04, 2008
Crazy Beautiful!
Trainer Larry Jones paid tribute to his fallen filly saying, “She ran the race of her life.”



As tradition has shown itself, I sat down today and chose my three horses that I wanted to win the Kentucky Derby. I never put money down on them but I like to make my choices and "pretend". I did a little research and chose the 3 horses purely because I loved their names and their looks. I never choose them by their odds or how they have run in the past. I just go off of their names and how pretty they are. My first choice today was Eight Belles, merely because of her name. RecapturetheGlory was my 2nd choice because of the name again, and Col John came in 3rd in my picks because I thought he was a beautiful horse. Then again, what horse isn't beautiful. Well, that tradition has come to a complete and utter stop, as of today! After the horrific fall of Eight Belles and the tragic end of her life, I have vowed to NEVER again pick horses to run in a race. It took me over 30 minutes to quit crying after the Derby was over and I am still on the verge of tears as I think about it. I have been told that horses love to run and I understand that fact but I honestly believe Eight Belles would be alive today if she were ALLOWED to run and not FORCED to run. She would have NEVER pushed herself so hard that both her front legs would bust beyond repair. It just makes me sick to my stomach to think about what man and the almighty dollar has done to exploit these horses. And to think that I "pretended" makes me just as guilty. I don't know if I can or will watch the Preakness in a few weeks. It just doesn't feel "right" anymore.


On to happier things........

My daughter is the most craziest girl I know and I love her to death. She makes an ordinary outing into something so crazy and special for all of those around. She decided that her friend and her needed a "photoshoot" and gosh... who am I to turn down that request! We decided to go onto the Army base and take pictures out at Geronimo's grave site. We then went to the bluff where Geronimo jumped off of, on horseback none the less.

It was at Fort Sill that Geronimo made a daring escape attempt, riding his horse off Medicine Bluff into Medicine Creek. A popular movie depicted the character yelling out his name as he jumped. This is why even today people yell "Geronimo" when jumping from high places.

Needless to say the whole trip was fantastic and here are the pictures to prove it! Notice the tree theme! Simply CRAZY BEAUTIFUL!





I also had to add a few digi pages!



Posted at 03:24 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

No comments: