Friday, September 12, 2008

God be with Galveston!





I am glued to the TV! Having spent some wonderful times in the Houston area this summer and the Galveston area last summer, this storm really bothers me. I wish I weren't so obsessive with storms but when it comes to weather, I am. I can't help it. My prayers are non-stop for the people in the path of Ike! Waves are already at 20 ft crashing on the the sea wall. It just breaks my heart....:o( Hearing that there was a mandatory evacuation on Galveston Island and that only 50% have evacuated, just amazes me! What are these people thinking? Are their material things more important than their lives or the lives they are keeping there with them? Come on people, are you really wanting to drown? They are saying that tonight, Galveston Island will be under water for a period of time. Jamaica Beach and San Luis Pass is already flooded. Gosh I am so sad!


Here are a few pics I took when I was in Galveston. This is a monument along the seawall depicting a man holding his wife and child as the water rises. Its was placed in memory of the 1900 hurricane, the "Great Storm", that killed an estimated 6,000 and 12,000 individuals.





Once the"Great Storm" hit, Galveston realized that they needed a seawall to help prevent this again. Here is a picture that I took of the seawall from the water side.


Here is a pic of myself standing in front of the pier in Galveston. The one that the news keeps showing on TV and the same one that they say will not be there tomorrow. I'm just so sad!!!

God be with Galveston!

P.S. Please keep my friends and family safe. My aunt, uncle and cousins have evacuated their homes and offices in the Beaumont/Port Arthur area and are further inland near Tyler, Tx. I have some friends in Houston and in Bryan, Tx. Keep them in your prayers! Shelly, Todd and kids, I am praying ya'll stay safe!

No comments: